The hot, lazy days of summer are some of the best days of the year – especially here in Atlantic Canada. With summer comes less routine, more last-minute fun (patio, anyone?!) and a more care-free attitude.
With last minute trips to the cottage, and last-minute invites to the neighbour’s BBQ, it’s easy for home maintenance activities to fall through the cracks.
Keep the following items in mind this month so you can avoid problems down the road, and also so you aren’t left handling them when the colder weather starts to sets in.
• Use a dehumidifier if your basement is damp – with the heat wave we’ve been having, this is more important than ever!
• Clean the filter in your air handling unit if you have central air conditioning
• Check all exterior finishes and wood for deterioration
• Check the caulking and weatherstripping around your windows and the door to your garage
• Check the drainage trap in your basement floor and fill it with water if needed
• Have your furnace or heating system serviced