Summer is right around the corner! Is your home ready? Check out our list of reminders. Better yet, print it and save it on your fridge.
- Monitor your basement’s humidity, using a dehumidifier if necessary – avoid relative humidity levels above 60%
- Clear or replace air conditioning filter and clean or replace ventilation system filters if necessary
- Check basement pipes for condensation or dripping
- Check the basement floor drain to ensure the trap contains water; refill with water if necessary
- If you have a plumbing fixture that is not used frequently, for example, a laundry tub or spare bathroom sink, tub or shower stall, run some water briefly to keep water in the trap
- Deep clean your carpets and rugs – now is a great time to drape them over your patio railing to air out before it becomes more humid outside
- Vacuum your bathroom fan grille to remove lint and debris
- Disconnect the duct connected to your clothes dryer, and vacuum lint from duct, the areas surrounding your dryer and your dryer’s vent hood outside
- Check smooth functioning of all windows and lubricate as required
- Check for and replace damaged caulking and weather stripping around mechanical and electrical services, windows and doorways, including the doorway between the garage and the house
- Check the security of all guardrails and handrails
- Inspect window putty on outside of glass panes of older houses and replace if needed
- Remove any plants that contact —and roots that penetrate— your siding or brick
- Check exterior wood siding and trim for signs of deterioration; clean, replace or refinish as needed
- Lubricate automatic garage door opener motor, chain and other moving parts, and ensure that the auto-reverse mechanism is properly adjusted
- Inspect electrical service lines for secure attachment where they enter your house, and make sure there is no water leakage into the house along the electrical conduit
- Check for overhanging tree branches that may need to be removed
- Repair driveway and walkways as needed, paying close attention to rotten boards on your steps and patio
- Check the chimney cap and the caulking between the cap and the chimney
- From the ground, check the general condition of the roof and note any sagging that could indicate structural problems requiring further investigation from inside the attic. Note the condition of shingles for possible repair or replacement.
If upon completing your maintenance checklist you’d like a referral to a trusted contractor, we’re happy to help.
You Dream It. We Finance It.